South Austin Campus
What I know/what I think is accurate, is:
- There is going to be a campus on the current Stassney/Manchacha corner.
- Since the original designs for the campus and library are completely out the window, the current/latest design is a "shoebox" or rectangle.
- The library is on the second floor and we got back some of the space originally cut so it should be a little over 9,100 square feet.
- The library/IRT floorplan is "L" shaped.
- No patio, lots of windows.
- We are finishing a spreadsheet that outlines furniture/tech needed with estimated $'s.
- We are finishing three cost scenarios for resources that include 3/4 full, 1/2 full, 1/3 full.
Cypress Campus - New Campus
There are no floor plans yet, although Richard and I have seen a rough schematic of what the footprint of the campus will be. We - at this time - are slated to be in the new building, which is great. Square footage - so far- has us at a little less than 8,500 square feet. The style of the campus is sort of "craft." The first rough sketches were good looking. Can't wait to see a floorplan.
LS Dean Information
We have redone the Dean's information page (second level linked from the LS Staff Directory page under my name) as stated earlier. LLT agenda's and minutes will be linked off the page as well as the Blog. We're also redoing the LS Internal Dean's page and linking my Staff Directory page to that as well.
As you want to, review LLT agendas (we usually send them out a few days before LLT meetings) and the minutes in the weeks following. You should read these both and work with library managers to ask questions/get answers as needed.
Round Rock Higher Education Center
ACC departments are planning for the RRHE Center right now including which classes will be offered and classes should be scheduled to begin September '05. Luanne Preston is the ACC contact/manager of this project. ACC will offer classes in the daytime and some in the evening. As soon as our ACC Deans let us know what classes they will offer, we will move to establish plans for reserves, etc.
We have a list of what we think we need in general, but more along the lines of "if there are ACC English Comp classes, we need..." kind of content. I have sent Joan Heath, Director of Library Services at Texas State, a set of questions on their space at the Center. It is VERY small, only slightly larger than a classroom, has no shelving planned and only computer workstations. As soon as I get answers to the questions below, I will put together an email to send to our ACC Deans on services (or the lack thereof) offered.
Questions posed to Joan/TSU include:
- What is their service plan?
- Will we have access to brochure racks to post ACC Library Services information?
- How many shelves (in back of the circ desk/staff work desk) will TS have and where exactly will they be located?
- The floor plan doesn't indicate that there are any "study” tables…only pc workstation tables, please clarify.
- What will the hours of service be?
- What is your staffing plan…i.e. you’ve said you will have a full time librarian…will you also hire hourly libs to fill in the hours when you are open but no librarian is there?
- What is the/are the job description(s) for your staff there? I’m assuming they will be different as this is a new setup/design for you.
We will close our Round Rock evening ACC library services site in August of '05. We will not hire staff to work at RRHEC (as I stated in earlier emails) but will work with the TSU staff for training to meet our ACC RRHEC student's information literacy needs.
Eastview Library Renovation
We're on schedule with this renovation. Since the HS Building II project had cost overruns, we are getting the classroom contiguous to us (thank you, Tyra!) but the walls are not being completely knocked down. Instead, they are putting in "openings" and refinishing the classroom. We are currently buying the shelving and the remaining HS materials will move from RVS to EVC over the winter holiday break.
The HS Building II project does have some money to buy LS some additional furniture (tables and chairs and reconfiguring carrells) to add seating.
Emerson
We are not buying the Emerson property.
Rio Grande Campus
The company assessing student, community and faculty input has completed their project and has submitted a document to the administration. It has generated a great deal of discussion over cost of the parking, others costs, etc. I have no specifics, but will pass them along when I do.
San Marcos
I don't know anything more.
AVP's Position
The first round of applicants were reviewed and the search was reopened. The position description was rewritten and taken to Educause and to the League for Innovation conferences. Al Purcel, Interview Committee member, rewrote the interview questions to match the new job description. I am hopeful we will have applicants and interview in the spring. Meanwhile, Richard is doing a great job doing the bulk of Ron's job. I am serving on several committees for the AVP position as well.
Committees I serve on for the AVP's position include:
ACC's Quality Initiatives Committee - I chair this one and we are redoing the college's collegewide and campus-based customer service surveys.
ACC Professional Development Committee - I chair this one and we support the faculty and staff professional development initiatives, Terry and Susan's group.
ACC ID Committee - I am a member and we are meeting to determine the various scenarios possible for upgrading ACC's ID's.
I know you're thinking, yes, but what does she DO all day? Other committees and projects I am on/working on:
Transfer Data Committee - I am a member - primarily in my capacity as the Dean in charge of Honors and we meet to determine data needs for tracking student information between and among institutions to better meet the needs of our students.
Sabbatical Committee - I am a member and we meet once a year to review applications.
Administrative Leadership Team - I am a member and we meet about every three weeks or so. We're reviewing our charge/mission. Right now it is basically an information exchange with college administrators.
Institutional Planning Committee - I am a member. Last year we concentrated on the Strategic Plan, we are currently reviewing what we will be doing as well.
IRT Cluster - I am a member and it is a group of managers who work together on strategic planning information for the college's plan and on outcomes/U-Leads.
Other projects:
-I'm drafting a LS tech q & a for student and faculty information.
-A LLT subgroup is preparing information on LS classified staff levels, etc. for HR
-I'm preparing a document for Richard Smith (and the rest of the ACC administration) on our library faculty position needs.
-I'm working on a document that has questions (no answers) for the Student Services AVP to answer on student dress codes.
-I'm working on a document that will go to the collegewide technology committee to request and justify putting public service laptops back in to the collegewide replacement plan (other faculty and staff laptops were in the plan but were removed.)
-I am preparing professional development information for a committee (they haven't ever been called together, but I am pushing for it to meet) to review $'s for collegewide professional development guidelines.
-As soon as Cary returns we will begin to aggressively assess all LS administrative rules to be updated.
-Someone should soon start to work on the plan to consolidate ACC help desk kinds of information and we will work with them when they do.
-A hold has been put on the more costly plan (that was unfunded in the Strategic Plan) to provide college-wide authentication, but IT is still working on what might work in the interim with no- or low-cost software.
-I'm still pushing for the college to address our issues regarding the Patriot Act.
-I will be meeting with teams to discuss PR ideas and have already gotten a great set of ideas from CIL on what we could do to market LS IL.
A final note. We have several illnesses and serious health problems of ACC LS employees. Our heartfelt concerns go out to all staff who are in this situation. This increases the anxiety level of all of us as we worry about our friends and colleagues and adjust our schedules for the benefit of the group. Thank you for your patience and support at this time. We're all in this together and many of us are rounding our quarter of a century mark together and some of us our third decade working together! There isn't a finer group of people or a better staff anywhere. Thanks for all you do.
If you have any questions, you know where I am and how to reach me.
No comments:
Post a Comment